Sunday, May 13, 2012

Gyeongju Flowers and Korean Weddings

The past few weeks have flown by...and I attribute this to busy weekends!
I'm actually amazed at how fast time is going. For once, I would like it to slow down please!

On the weekend of May 5th, a few friends and I took the hour bus ride to Gyeongju. It is a quaint little town that happened to be the original capital of Korea, before Seoul. Throughout Gyeongju, there are huge grass mounds, which happen to be burial mounds of the kings from the past. They are spread out all through the town, and you can see them from all over.

Saturday, May 5th also was Children's Day in Korea. (If it would have fallen on a weekday, we would have had the day off - darn!) On this holiday, parents are given the day off and they are supposed to spend time with their children. I'm so glad Korea has this day...because there I times I believe I see these kids more than their parents see them. Lord knows they should have Children's Day once a month!
Brit, American, Brit, American

Families flying kites.

Our bikes!

L to R: Louise, Nikki, Megan and I


Burial Mound 
Nikki over the pond.

Beautiful Flowers

Anyways, on such a beautiful day, many families were at the park in Gyeongju flying kites, riding bikes, and playing with their kids in the flowers. It.Was.BEAUTIFUL! I absolutely loved every moment of our little getaway to Gyeongju. We rented bikes and just rode all around town. It felt so wonderful to do something that we do not get to do all the time. Gyeongju (aside from the burial mounds) is very flat and a perfect place to ride bikes. When we came upon the flower garden, we all just went crazy and rode around the park for hours! It was such a perfect day! The pictures really do not do the day justice!

Bonnie & I at the wedding.


This past weekend, Saturday, May 12th, I went to a Korean wedding! And boy, was it completely different from American weddings.
A guy from America, named Ryan, who taught here last year fell in love with a Korean girl, and they got married yesterday. It was such a treat to see and witness such a different kind of wedding.

Ryan's family from Washington flew out to be here, so that was nice...but other than them and a few of us from Seongseo...it was ALL Korean people.

Here's how Korean weddings go:

*There is no church - there is a wedding hall (where about 4-7 other weddings are taking place as yours goes on as well).

*There is table seating, and then in the middle of the room, a fashion runway sort of structure.

*There is silly music and lots of colored lights.

*The mothers dress up in traditional dress (called hanboks).

*The friends of the couple are asked to come and pose with the bride before she "walks down the aisle" in a sort of weird photo opportunity. We had to stand around her and applaud. Huh?

*The bride and groom then pose for pictures before the wedding even takes place.

* Then, the groom walks the fashion runway, with his bride right behind him. He bows to the "priest"?. his parents, and then her mother. Then the bride and her father walk down the runway and there's some more bowing. Then, the "priest" talks...and talks...and talks...in Korean. So, who knows? Meanwhile, there are many "attendants" (people from the wedding hall) running around the couple making sure they look perfect for pictures. There's no talking done by the bride or groom, there's not even a kiss at the end.

*Once the "ceremony" is over, the couple sashshays down the runway, comes back and takes pictures with the families, and then the friends. And...there you have it. A Korean wedding.

*After the photos are taken, everyone, (and I mean EVERYONE - even from the other 4 weddings that are taking place) moves into the banquet/buffet room and there's numerous tables and a whole array of choices for food. All you have to do is find a seat.

WEIRDEST. WEDDING. EVER.

I look forward to Katy and Kyle's wedding...something that is familiar. But, it was still a treat to witness Ryan and Inyeong's weird wedding.

                          


On Tuesday, May 15th, KATY McFADDEN ARRIVES!!! And I am SOOOO excited! I will update all about her trip! I look forward to having such a wonderful friend to spend time with and witness my world. I cannot wait! It is going to be so amazing and wonderful! It's almost been a year since we've seen each other - so this reunion is longggggg overdue!

I cannot believe it's almost been a year since I graduated Manchester College (which is now becoming Manchester University) - at times, I think..."What have I done with this year?" And then, I remember...I'm in KOREA!!! And I'm going to live it up!


Love to you all!



1 comment:

  1. This is so funny! My boss and best friend is Korean and I know they do things a little differently, but thats what I love about her. She's lovely and because of that I have fallen in love with the Korean culture, food, tv dramas (lol). Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete