Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Funny Story

I have a funny story I wanted to share with everyone.

 I have this one class of middle schoolers...they can be a hassle, but usually I have a lot of fun with them.
The other day was no exception.

In this class, I am supposed to just come prepared with a topic and we should have a discussion in English for the entire period. (Usually, this lasts for about 10 minutes and I spend the next 30 trying to reel them back in)...

On this particular day, I decided that we would talk about aliens. That topic has set forth my new favorite quote from my students.

Here is the discussion:

Me: So, if aliens came down to Earth, what would you do? Would you run and hide...try to talk to them...try to fight them?

...(silence)...

Me: Well, see, teacher (for I always refer to myself in 3rd person around them...who knows why?) Teacher would run and hide, call her mom, cry and pray that she doesn't get killed. (went for the laughs...didn't get any).

....(silence)....

I then noticed a few of my students whispering in the back.

Me: Jason, Amy...what would you do?

Students: Teacher...send the Jew.

Me: Uh.....what?

Students: Send the JEW!

Me: Send the Jew? What?!

Students: Ya, you know...J-O-O. Send the Joo.

I was in complete confusion. What is J-O-O?

Students: You know teacher, like many many animals....

Teacher: (After it took me a minute) ...oh...zoo? Send the zoo? Z-O-O

Students: YA! Send the Joo!

:) After having a discussion about the difference between Z's and J's...I still have yet to understand their thinking of how sending animals to go meet the aliens would help us...but it did give me a good laugh.

On another note...I'm starting to actually be able to read Korean. The alphabet is not super difficult to understand, and so I'm trying to memorize it and learn. It's kind of exciting when I can walk the streets and see many things that I can read. It's also nice because a lot of English words sound the same here, so I just read them in this "Korean" accent.

Tomorrow, March 1st, is known as 삼 일 절....or Korean Indepence Day. (when they separated from Japan) and so we have a day off! :) I'm looking forward to it! A new art exhibit is in town and its called Trick Art...so a few of us are off to check that out. I'll update with pictures soon!

Hope all is well with you!

Miss and love you all.


1 comment: