Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmastime Abroad

Hello devoted and lovely readers! Thank you for checking in again and reading all about my life! :) Just so you know, I really appreciate it! It's a connection to home that I really enjoy having!
Korean "Make it Yourself" Ornaments...
You're the best!

Anyways, an update:  I've almost hit the two month mark!, which is crazy and scary all at the same time. I now only have 10 more to go, which at times feels long, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they behold.

For this post, I want to continue my "Things I've Learned..." for I have been making mental lists and need to post them before I forget them again... enjoy! :)

31.  I have started to play a mental game on subways or in public, and usually crowded, places. The game is "Which one is not like the other?" For I always stand out with my blonde hair. ... Did that make you laugh? .... It makes me laugh, anyway.

32.  BIRTHDAYS! I've been meaning to tell about this one for some time. The birthdays here are different. When a child is born in Korea, they are one years old. They don't count in months. So, when I ask my students how old they are, they usually say, "In Korea, 8...in America, 7."

33.  This one took me awhile to pick up on, but I've finally caught on. Plastic surgery is a big deal here. Most teenagers actually ask for surgery as a gift when they graduate high school. They want to look more like foreigners. The jaw line and eyelids are what they usually have done, to make them look more western. There are billboards all over showing before and after pictures...madness.

34.  Boys here in Korea have to serve in the military. It's a very interesting perspective to talk to some of these guys. Some are excited for it, but some are actually terrified. I feel for them.

35.  Christmas and New Years is straight up backwards here. My students told me that Christmas is more of the holiday that you spend with your boyfriend/girlfriend and friends, while New Years is the family holiday.

36.  Now, I want to just tell you about my favorite class. They are in 6th grade (I get this from my father - I just know it) and I adore them!  There are only seven of them, but I absolutely look forward to teaching them on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursdays. This week, I had some tiny Christmas parties with select classes, and this one was a blast. (They were all great though, especially the little ones singing Jingle Bells to me...) But this class, E-AD, they're the best. They love to talk, and so usually, I just sit back and let them go...
Here's a picture of them (only 4 were there...but they're awesome!)

Clockwise from left: Gary, James, Alice, and Sally


Lastly, Merry Christmas! :)  As I write this, it's Christmas Eve...crazy! It hasn't really felt like Christmas much here, I think it's due to the fact that I worked on Friday 12/23 and will be back at work on 12/26... No rest for us here..., but I'm keeping my holiday spirit bright, as they say. :) I have my tree up, a few gifts under it, my twinkle lights glowing, Christmas music playing and hot chocolate on the stove. Sam is coming down from the Seoul area and I know it'll be so nice to see a familiar face for the holiday. But, to my family...I miss you all more than you know right now. I love you. 

Also! Happy New Year! Here comes 2012! Woot woot! I do get a mini break though during this week. I have Thursday and Friday before New Year's weekend off.  A few friends and I are planning on exploring the temples and fun sites that our lovely city Daegu (and surrounding areas) have to offer!


Until next time, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! 
I'm sending love and holiday cheer from afar! 
Love,
Cam




1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Cam!!! I am still so amazed how much of a jet setter you are. I am such a chicken!

    ReplyDelete