Monday, November 21, 2011

Almost a Month...




 I've got some updating to do...

First off: I HAVE AN ADDRESS. So, if you'd ever like to send me a card, a note, or anything to say hello, my address is:

Attention: Cambria Teter
Seong-Seo ECC: 1250-16
I - Gok Dong Dal, Seo - Gu,
Daegu, South Korea
704-928        
                     :)


 The past two weeks have been a whirlwind, but have also felt like they've moved so slowly. I've been here for almost a month, and yet, at times, I feel like it could be four!

School has been going, well, I still love my little kids...they're adorable. I'm glad I had good practice with Mom's first graders. I've learned how to control them and ignore the ones that just really want attention.  I teach one class with just two little boys, named David and Ethan. They're super cute, and each time I come into class, we play hide-n-seek the first five minutes. They always hide in the same areas, and it's just desks in the room, so I can see them right away, but it's still a blast for them. It makes me smile as well. :)
I's still learning about the older ones though...sometimes, they can be a handful. So, if any of you have any suggestions, please, let me know!


On the weekend of November 12, I went and visited my friend from Manchester, Kate, in her town of Pohang. It's about an hour and a half from Daegu. I was SO proud of myself for navigating subways, streets and buses all by myself. :) It was such a wonderful accomplishment, and it was so great to see her again. She lives by the beach, and I felt so at home. I put my feet in the water and felt at peace. We walked around and drank coffee. It was perfect.

Then, this past week, I had to go to the hospital for a foreigner check up.  Every foreigner, in order to get our alien cards, has to do it. My boss, Mr. Do, picked me up and took me. When we got there, it was about 1:15 in the afternoon. Here's where we differ from the Koreans....the whole hospital had shut down for lunch! Literally. And then, at 1:30, all these workers come out and announced a little jingle about being open again. Super interesting. And then, I had to go through all the motions. They took my blood, chest x-ray, eye test, etc. Real fun. But, real efficient as well. We were out of there before 2pm.

And then, this weekend! :) Oh, so wonderful. I went to Seoul, and had an absolute blast! It was a super quick trip, but I have fallen in love with that city! I finally actually felt like a tourist in this country. I got to see palaces, and traditional dances, and tons of other tourists. It was perfect. Also, there was a lantern festival going on...and it was beautiful. I was in awe. There is a stream that runs through the city, and at nightfall, they sent lanterns down the stream and had these blow up lanterns lighting the whole way down. They were all different things, from animals to a traditional Korean wedding party. So pretty.  Unfortunately, that city is HUGE, and so I only saw a small part of it, but I cannot wait to go back.


And now, I want to continue my list of things learned so far...

15. Taxis here are very efficient, but, the drivers literally watch tv while driving. There are little tvs on the dashboard, and they will sit there and watch the shows. Crazy.

16. Toilet paper is not very common out in public areas, and so, carrying tissues or toilet paper with you at all times is a must, just in case you get caught in a sticky situation. :)

17.  The stationary here is the cutest thing on the planet. They try to write things in English, but the grammar is so funny, I have probably bought more stationary in these 3 weeks than I ever have in my entire life. My favorite purchase so far is a note pad with, "You can use half of the sheet if you want to make a smaller hat" printed at the top. :) Love it.

18.  KPop! :) It's Korean Pop music and it is played EVERYWHERE and anywhere. My little kids sing it all the time. These Korean pop singers have these famous songs where they say phrases in English, and I always crack up when my kids sing. My favorite line so far is, "I hate this love song." What?

19.  MATCHING COUPLES!!!! It took me awhile to notice it, and after a few, "Were they just wearing the same thing?" went through my mind, I have finally confirmed it. Couples, to show they are indeed a couple, wear the SAME thing!  I laughed the first time I saw it, and still get a kick out of all the combos I see. It's totally awesome. I'm still trying to get a picture to post on her, but I have to be covert, so when I do, you'll love it! :)

20.  The reason I believe most couples wear the same thing to prove they are a couple, instead of just holding hands like in other parts of the world, is because EVERYONE holds hands here. It's very common. Especially for guys to do it. I have a class with all boys and they are always holding hands, touching each other, and once, I saw them feed each other. It's just so normal.  It's kind of nice though. There's no judgement and they show their affection outwardly. Good for them. :)


I know there's still so many more to learn, but for now, that's what I've got.

I'm doing alright, still adjusting and still missing home SO much at times, but I know it'll get better with time. :) Hope you're all doing well and thanks for sticking with me. You are all so wonderful.


Here are some of the pictures I took while in Seoul...


traditional dances <- under the lights at the Lantern festival                            
 
some of the lanterns down the stream 


                                     
Fall leaves in Korea :)

 the biggest palace in Seoul



 the entrance to one of the palaces  

No comments:

Post a Comment